Saturday, November 23, 2019

“Lift High the Cross” by Phil Russell



“Lift High the Cross” by Phil Russell


Piety
“Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” Luke 23

Study
“He is the image, of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. Colossians 1

Action
“Let us give thanks to the Father, who made you fit to share in the inheritance of the holy ones in light.” Colossians 1




+
Pope Pius XI  established this former “Feast,” now a Solemnity, less than one hundred years ago, in 1925.  The Holy Father wanted to make a positive impression upon the Laity. “If Christ, the Lord is given all power in heaven and on earth...”

This Solemnity now caps the Sundays in our Liturgical Year; it also has to “cap” our hearts, “He must reign as King in our mind, will, and heart.”

Totality!

One of my most favorite hymns is “Lift High The Cross.”  I grew up knowing it as a child sung by both my Catholic Mother and Father, a Methodist. We were planted there as children, at the foot of His Cross: we understood early; this was our salvation.

I turned “70” recently and knew this Feast, and watched it elevated to SOLEMNITY only to bring me to my knees at the foot of Christ Jesus, King of The Universe.

So I sing: “Lift high the Cross, the love of Christ proclaim until all the world proclaims his sacred name.”

I pray: “We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you because by your holy Cross, you have redeemed the world.”



No comments: