Sunday, December 08, 2019

Persistent Loving! By Wayne Miller



Persistent Loving! By Wayne Miller


“…for the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the LORD...” (Isiah 11:1-10)

 “For he shall rescue the poor when he cries out, and the afflicted when he has no one to help him. He shall pity the lowly and the poor; the lives of the poor he shall save. Psalm 72 

 “Welcome one another, then, as Christ welcomed you, for the glory of God. For I say that Christ became a minister of the circumcised to show God's truthfulness, to confirm the promises to the patriarchs so that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy.” Romans 15:4-9

John the Baptist: “… Produce good fruit as evidence of your repentance.” Matthew 3:1-12

Piety
Father God, give me the eyes to see, ears to hear, and heart to know and rejoice at Your indwelling Presence and Love among my brothers and sisters.  And thank you for always being at my side, even when I don’t choose to be with you.

Study
Isaiah spoke of a future filled with retribution for the wicked and earth filled with the knowledge of the Lord. I believe the latter is here, and now, the former is not within my power or purview to accomplish. The Psalmist promises that the poor will be protected and uplifted. With the awareness and wisdom of the Triune God as my guide, I believe I can help with that. St. Paul describes God choosing to become a man and minister to a people that would not recognize or accept him, explicitly so the Gentiles could see God’s everlasting acceptance and faithfulness and know that God would never abandon them, either.

And Jesus’ cousin, John, upbraids the Pharisees for their pretense, smug attitude, and righteous certainty while ignoring the True Christ walking among them. The eccentric evangelist cries pending doom on the pompous leaders. But of course, both he and his cousin lost their lives for living their relationship with God and loving God’s poor above mindless conformance to ritual piety. I hope that my relationship will be strong enough to do the same if that time ever comes.

I’m hearing much distress expressed in this “time of waiting” concerning all the evil abroad and in our land. I choose to believe and act on the abundant Love that exists in my brothers and sisters, notwithstanding the bad choices that some continue to make. Free Will/Choice” was God’s Primary Gift to each of us and He is big enough to Love us through the worst muddles that we can create for ourselves. If I am to wait in anticipation of Christ’s coming, I choose to celebrate and act upon the everyday comings with which He blesses me, trying to be always ready to open my heart to let His Love flow through me to the next poor person I meet. Maybe that “poor” person is the obstinate, neighbor who is utterly convinced that the only way to save the world is an immediate return to the rigorous pre-Vatican II good old days and rejection of Pope Francis as our Shepherd. How do I welcome such a single-minded person “as Christ welcomed me?”

Action
We only love God as much as we love the most unlovable person in our life. I also heard just today that “every person I meet knows something that I don’t!” Can I allow the Grace freely given to me to sustain a genuinely open dialogue with the Grinch? I hope so, and you’re invited to join me in the quest to Make a Friend, Be a Friend, and Bring Christ to our Friends.

May we all experience His Presence in this special season, encouraging and leading us to Love all His Children.

De Colores!

No comments: