Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Grateful and Graced by Beth DeCristofaro



Grateful and Graced by Beth DeCristofaro


Therefore, your servant now finds the courage to make this prayer to you. And now, Lord GOD, you are God, and your words are truth; you have made this generous promise to your servant. Do, then, bless the house of your servant that it may be before you forever; for you, Lord GOD, have promised, and by your blessing, the house of your servant shall be blessed forever.” (Samuel 7:27-29)

He also told them, “Take care what you hear. The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you, and still, more will be given to you.
To the one who has, more will be given; from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”
(Mark 4:24-25)

Piety
You are God, and your words are Truth.  Do then, O God, bless this servant’s house as I live in gratitude and share your grace by loving my neighbors.  (From David’s prayer)

Study
Many years ago, the university asked me to complete an official evaluation of an instructor using the standard form.  In my remarks which were generally positive, I also stated that his style was particularly confrontational which, I felt, had a negative impact on the group effort in which we were engaged.  In my exit interview, the professor spoke to me of his dismay at my words, pointing out that I should have addressed my concerns with him in advance, with the class.  In effect, he said, I had ambushed him.  Although my critique I still feel was valid, I learned the critical lesson about owning my words and respecting someone by personally giving honest, positive criticism.  To this day, I prefer feedback that builds someone up even if it relates a negative and does not “ambush.”

In the reading from Samuel, David has just been dressed down by the Lord through the prophet Nathan.  This incident is a lesson in gratitude and grace, experiences I share from that university experience.  David is told not to presume to build a temple for God.  God neatly lets him know that that is not his job. Instead, as God puts David in his place, God bestows the promise that God will build a dynasty for David. David’s prayer is one of gracious acceptance of his status as lesser-than yet favored by God.  God’s grace lends this king the humility to accept the lesson that it is God alone who called the shepherd boy to be a King. We are who we are as we recognize and make use of God’s gifts to us.

Jesus reminds us that God’s grace is also given to us to hear, see, and live the Word.  Without God’s grace and our willing acceptance of it, we lose our close relation to him.  Without God’s grace and our acceptance of it, with the knowledge that God is God and we are His people, what (we have) will be taken away. 

Action
God’s generous love will not take away what has been given, but I can refuse.  My professor’s innate human worth was God-given which I could not eradicate yet I could tarnish his name by my lack of respect.  What lessons have you learned for which you are grateful?  What experience do you still need to learn?  Jesus is willing.



Illustration:  “David Dancing” Richard McBee, 1986, https://richardmcbee.com/artwork/kings-prophets/david-dancing

No comments: