Saturday, January 11, 2020

“My Beloved Son” by Phil Russell



“My Beloved Son” by Phil Russell


Piety
“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:17

Study
“The Lord will bless his people with peace.” Psalm 29:11

Action
“He (JESUS) went about doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.” Acts 10:38

“For God was with him....,”

By virtue of our Baptism, God is with us, too! And we are with Him.

What are we? “Beloved.”

Each one of us anointed Prophet, Priest, King. The Children of God, the Body of Christ!

Baptized!

Jesus submits himself to his Father’s will.  This act of righteousness fulfills and leads Jesus to Jerusalem and his suffering, death, and resurrection.

There we, too, are “called,” and Jesus says to us, “so must you also do.”

We are beloved of The Father!

I was baptized 70 years ago.  In these years, I’ve come to a better understanding of “Beloved” by the very virtue of my Baptism.

I opted as a parent to have my children baptized. One of the hardest things that I had had to do as a baptized person, “beloved” of God, was to give up my child when he died so suddenly at 27. And then, release him back to, my Heavenly Father. At his funeral Mass of Christian Burial, I stood in the same Church, just feet between the space where we baptized him, on that Sunday, November 4, 1990, to this “ritual” rite of “ March 26, 2018…returning him to my Heavenly Father...the One who had gifted me with Michael, my own “beloved Son, in whom I was well pleased.”

There was a song playing, as Father incensed his “urn” it was a Song called “Benedictus” by Steve Angrisano .... “our God has raised up for us a mighty Prophet, fulfilling the promise to save his people.”

Those words of Benediction washed over me that day, words of promise, and truth. As a “Beloved” child of God, I am/we are “called” to “Bless his people with peace.” As we sing this day as our response to our God, in thanksgiving for his Promise to us.

At this liturgical end of the Christmas Season, we are called to be fully equipped as his “Beloved”!

No comments: