Tuesday, January 21, 2020

“Prayers for the Powerless” by Colleen O’Sullivan


“Prayers for the Powerless” by Colleen O’Sullivan


Hear me, O coastlands, listen, O distant peoples. The LORD called me from birth, from my mother's womb; he gave me my name... You are my servant; he said to me, Israel, through whom I show my glory. (Isaiah 49:1,3)

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens, as he chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him. (Ephesians 1:3-4)

The disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:1-4)

Piety
God our Creator, we give thanks to you, who alone has the power to impart the breath of life as you form each of us in our mother's womb; grant, we pray, that we, whom you have made stewards of creation, may remain faithful to this sacred trust and constant in safeguarding the dignity of every human life. (Collect for Mass for Giving Thanks to God for the Gift of Human Life)

Study
Out of curiosity, the other day, I looked back to see when I became a Daily Tripod writer – September 2010. If I had never missed a week, that would add up to 488 Daily Tripods. Factoring in vacations, retreats, and a couple of surgeries, I would estimate I’ve written at least 450 daily Scripture meditations over the years. Over and over as I’ve studied the daily Scripture readings, I have observed Jesus reaching out to the least among us, the powerless and the vulnerable in society, the people with whom no one wants to have anything to do. He asks us to do the same today. He doesn’t have much to say about those of us who have the means to take care of ourselves.

As Christians, our faith and our God ask us to respect all human life from conception to death. We have a long way to go in improving the way we care for those at either end of the life spectrum, but today we are praying for the unborn. An unborn child can do nothing for herself. She is totally dependent on her mother for care. That child’s welfare depends on what her mother eats and drinks during her pregnancy, whether or not she misuses drugs or alcohol, and whether or not she receives prenatal care.

Life is a precious gift to be nurtured and protected. We existed in God’s mind for all eternity before we lived in our mother’s womb. God even knows our name before we are born, and God also knows for what purpose He sends any of us into the world.

It breaks Jesus’ heart when the most vulnerable among us are mistreated or have their lives snuffed out before they’ve even begun.

Action
Pray today for the most helpless among us, unborn children.

No comments: