Tuesday, April 07, 2020

“A Light to the Nations” by Melanie Rigney



“A Light to the Nations” by Melanie Rigney


It is too little, he says, for you to be my servant, to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and restore the survivors of Israel; I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth. (Isaiah 40:6)

I will sing of your salvation. (Psalm 71:15ab)

Simon Peter said to him, “Master, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, though you will follow later.” (John 13:36)

Piety
Jesus, stay with me, so I am not alone.

Study
As I write this, I’m watching Passion Sunday Mass thanks to the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I had to turn away from a different Livestream that started with a half-dozen priests singing “All Glory, Laud, and Honor” in Latin and English.  It was just too painful not to sing along softly with people in my parish I know by name or by sight or whom I’ve never seen before.

Like everyone else, I’m hurting. Since March 16, I haven’t left the house other than for daily walks and coffee or grocery stores. One week the quest was eggs; this week, it’s paper towels. Two friends have had treasured people die, and there’s no opportunity for them to gather and grieve.

Yes, there are blessings for us all at this time. We’re cooking and reading more. We’re learning technologies that allow us to have virtual birthday parties and other gatherings. Still, there is nothing like a real hug, a real kiss, or the Real Presence received in the community.

I’ve been writing, even though I don’t feel much like doing it, about male saints. I am doing this only out of obedience—and a contract that obligates me to turn in a manuscript on May 10.

In doing so, I ran across this quote from the great Thomas Aquinas:

“For just as it is better to illuminate than to shine, so it is greater to pass on the fruits of contemplation to others than just to contemplate.” 

Maybe that’s what this time is also about.  Shine a light on Him rather than emitting it.  Share our victories and struggles rather than quietly obsessing over them. When we are weak, He is strong. When we are dark, He is light. When we falter, He picks us up. And sometimes, He uses our frailties to light the way for others.

Action
Be light today.



No comments: