Thursday, April 02, 2020

“Keeping Faith” by Beth DeCristofaro


“Keeping Faith” by Beth DeCristofaro


I will maintain my covenant with you and your descendants after you
throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. I will give to you and to your descendants after you the land in which you are now staying, the whole land of Canaan, as a permanent possession; and I will be their God.” God also said to Abraham: “On your part, you and your descendants after you must keep my covenant throughout the ages.”
(Genesis 17:7-9)

Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing; but it is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ You do not know him, but I know him. … But I do know him and I keep his word. Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” (John 8:54-58)

Piety
Brother Jesus, may I come to know God ever more and keep his word with your guidance and stirrings with my heart.

Study
Jesus attempts very pointedly to explain to the leaders that he and God are related in his use of I AM.  Today we understand his words to illustrate two persons of the Trinity; to the Jewish leaders, they thought he blasphemed.  As the notes to the NAB state, John’s use of the term I AM “is the one reserved for the Logos,” preexistent with the Father.

The Jews could not see past the reality that Jesus was human. God’s gift of faith allows us to see in his humanity how we can touch the “I am” within us which links each of us to the divine wholeness that is God.  Consider that we can touch “I am” placed within each of us by Jesus’ humanity and divinity.  As we shed tears of loss just like Jesus most certainly shed over the deaths of beloved grandparents Anne and Joachim, we know him.  The potent awe felt as we witness a beautiful sunset leads us to an “I am” as surely as Jesus watched and admired Nazareth skies, perhaps even thanking the Creator who placed such art into the sky for his – and our - enjoyment. We are linked to him who walked dusty roads as our feet are sore and shoulders achy from our honest labor whether Jesus touched a laptop or not. We know “I am” through excitement tempered with sadness when we leave comfortable environments even as Jesus must have experienced when he finished hammering together that last table or chair in Joseph and Son’s carpentry shop, preparing to leave his hometown forever to be about his Father’s business. When we touch our deep, human moments we can be sure that Jesus our brother touched those moments too.  The “I am” that is us is bound to “I AM” when we accept God’s gifted, covenant relationship and keep God’s covenant which is fulfilled in Jesus.    

Action
Each day we have the opportunity to reconnect with our Lord and Savior through his Brotherhood.  As we go about our tasks, consider each one a connection.  Take each moment for a prayer – gratitude for the comfort of our home, cozy as Jesus must have been in Nazareth.  Solidarity for those who do not have enough to eat as we drink our coffee this morning, welcome as Mary’s bread must have been to her hungry son.  Solidarity with those who are ill as we take our vitamins or medications.  Make your day a keeping-faith, covenantal day with Jesus.

No comments: