Sunday, May 24, 2020

Let’s Go! By Wayne Miller


Let’s Go! By Wayne Miller
The Ascension of the Lord

As the Apostles were looking on, Jesus was lifted up.
“… wait for “the promise of the Father … in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. …you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:1-11)

God seated Jesus at his right hand in the heavens.
May the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, give you a Spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him. May the eyes of your hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call, what are the riches of glory in his inheritance among the holy ones, and what is the surpassing greatness of his power for us who believe...” (Ephesians 1:17-23)

Go and teach all nations, says the Lord;
I am with you always, until the end of the world.
(Gospel Acclamation Cf. Matthew 28:19a, 20b)

All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
“Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”  (Matthew 28:16-20)

PIETY
Go ye therefore and teach all nations, Go! Go! Go!
Go ye therefore and teach all nations, Go! Go! Go!
Baptizing them in the Name of the Father, The Son, and Holy Ghost,
Go! Go! Go!
If you love Me, really love Me, Feed My sheep
If you love Me, really love Me, Feed My sheep
And know I’ll be with You forever and ever
Until the end of the world,
Go! Go! Go!       
 (“GO!”, a Christian Hymn)

STUDY
       Jesus told his disciples – and us – to believe our Baptism in the Holy Spirit and exercise the Power to Witness to the ends of the earth.
       St. Paul prayed that God would give us Wisdom, Revelation and Enlightenment to know the Hope in Jesus’ Call, the Riches in His Inheritance, and the Power in us who believe in His Son Jesus.
       Jesus commissioned us to make disciples of all nations, Baptizing them in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, our Triune God. He commanded us to teach them to observe what He commanded. And His Greatest Commandment is LOVE; Loving the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, and will; and Loving our neighbor as we Love ourselves. (Do I love myself? Am I lovable?)
       He promised that He is with us ALWAYS, in ALL WAYS.

ACTION
We are in the middle of a worldwide health emergency, with no rational option but to isolate ourselves until science can identify a way to defeat this new virus. I am actually feeling quite comfortable in this time of isolation, as the pace of my life was becoming way too hectic to allow for quiet time with our Lord, reflecting on the miracles and challenges (opportunities) that I am blessed with each day.
Doing lots of “good” things is still just doing lots of things. And yet, how could I not answer His Call in so many parts of my life? I do not believe that God orchestrated this pandemic so that I can have some serious retreat time for reflection. But all things work together for Good for those that Love the Lord. And this enforced withdrawal from the world has brought me right back to the center of my universe, the Love of our Triune God in the Heart of my Sacrament. Living every day, all day, with my beloved spouse, seeing, feeling, sharing, and appreciating God’s Love in the precious, unique way that He formed us to express it.
        We’ve been blessed with the opportunity to celebrate Mass – the Source and Summit of our Christian Life – with many different communities and Presiders. They are pure gift to us for the simple act of learning a few new button strokes on our phones, computers, and smart TVs. While I love our local parish and priests, I confess to having found a soulmate in a young diocesan priest from Minnesota whose homilies and celebration of Eucharist touch chords rarely reached deep within my heart. While I yearn for and will run headlong back to communion with my parish community, I confess that I may celebrate Mass twice on Sundays from now on.  I will get an extra charge of Catholic Joy from that young televangelist as well as from my loving parish family. Our God is SO GOOD!
        Why do I do all this? I have met Jesus, not by any striving or study or accomplishment on my part, but because He expressed unequivocally to me that I am known and loved and accepted and forgiven exactly as I am. He told me that if I only stop trying to fix who I am and accept His Loving gaze of who I really am and know how lovable I am right now - I will know how simple it is to be the conduit of His Love to my world.
        I am a Catholic because I Love and I am Loved by the only Son of God. He taught me how to Love and be Loved. He commissioned me to Go and Love all of His Creation. And He established a Community of His Children who gather every day to celebrate His Living Presence as He taught.
        I cannot sit on my couch in my comfortable family room forever immersed in the rich environment of electronic spiritual enlightenment. I will Go when the world decides it’s OK to be out again. But I will be forever grateful for this time of pandemic refreshment and rediscovery of who He is and who I am and who we are. He is topping off our Love Tanks for whatever the “new normal” will hold because there is no version of life that is not utterly joyful if we are walking with Him.
        Look out, world! Pentecost is only a week away! The tongues of fire have struck! Let’s GO!

De Colores!

No comments: