Thursday, July 23, 2020

“Blessed if you see and hear the Lord” By Beth DeCristofaro


“Blessed if you see and hear the Lord”  By Beth DeCristofaro

This word of the LORD came to me: Go, cry out this message for Jerusalem to hear! (Jeremiah 2:1)

This is why I speak to them in parables, because they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand. … “But blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear. Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.” (Matthew 13:13-14, 16-17)




Piety
Graciously be present to your people, we pray, O Lord, and lead those you have imbued with heavenly mysteries to pass from former ways to newness of life.  Through Christ our Lord.
(Payer after Communion, Mass of the Day)

Study
Today would have been my brother Michael’s 62nd birthday.  He died unexpectedly at 37 so it is hard to picture him as a middle-aged man although he had a streak of “old man” in him even then.  Among the memories of my brother growing up was listening with him to my dad tell stories about his childhood.  We learned about his difficult yet full-of-love upbringing. And both of my parents would load us kids into one bed and read to us.  Aesop’s fables was a favorite book.  I just ran across a delightful resource which I’m sure my brother would have loved.  Fr. Greg Carlson, S.J., at Creighton U., has compiled what might be one of the largest online collections of fables in the world!  With pictures![i]  We kids used to pour over the vintage images of talking donkeys and foxes while asking for “just one more story.”

Narratives like my dad’s made us know him better and grow our relationship with him as he shared himself so personally with us.  He grew up poor, in a different era, yet wasn’t so much different from us in his antics.  “Fables often use animals to move us from awareness to attitude,” the Creighton site states.  “A fable invites the listener to become more aware of himself/herself.” According to the notes from the NAB, parable “designates stories that are illustrative comparisons between Christian truths and events of everyday life.”[ii]  Parables are allegories – they point to something else. 

Jesus knew the limitations of his audience then and now.  They, and we, expect what we assume.  In Jesus’ day, the Jews expected the Messiah to come to free them from Roman oppression.  Jesus, however, came to free us from sin and enter into a new relationship with us.  And he knew that they, and we, hear what we want to hear.  By using stories with exaggerated elements such as a shepherd leaving a flock alone in the wilderness to search for one missing, it caused Jesus’ audience to consider that he was revealing a much bigger truth.  He invited them as he today invites us to hear more. He invites us to follow so that the ears of our hearts become attuned to the Word.

Action
God knows and loves us well.  My dad knew and adored his children well.  He loved the time he spent telling us tales, perhaps as much as we did.  I wish I could ask Mike what he remembers of those yarns of dad’s growing up.  Jesus knew stories would touch something in us.  Do I know how much God loves to sit close to me, telling me stories?  Am I listening, willing to change my expectations and desires for God? 


[i] https://www.creighton.edu/aesop/



Illustration: “this card presents "Renard Ermite," complete with papal bulls to show what a pilgrim he is!”  https://www.creighton.edu/aesop/artifacts/cards/fablecards/fablecardseries/5430/

No comments: