Thursday, July 09, 2020

"Peace Will Remain if Invited In" By Beth DeCristofaro


"Peace Will Remain if Invited In" By Beth DeCristofaro

My heart is overwhelmed, my pity is stirred. I will not give vent to my blazing anger, I will not destroy Ephraim again; For I am God and not man, the Holy One present among you; I will not let the flames consume you. (Hosea 11:8-9)

As you enter a house, wish it peace. If the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it; if not, let your peace return to you. (Matthew 10:11-12)


Piety
May the distresses, distraction and temptations we feel each day in the uncertainties of life, strengthen our desire to lean on you and your Word, O Lord.  May we be sustained and nurtured by your presence.  May we be led by the power of your spirit. May we be satiated with your peace.

Study
Unique metaphors and descriptions of God acting upon us humans fill the Book of Hosea.  God is portrayed as a protector “out of Egypt I called my son.”  God speaks as the parent of a toddler “it was I who taught Ephraim to walk.”  God guides “I drew them with human cords, with bands of love.” God becomes the rejected caregiver “though I stooped to feed my child, they did not know that I was their healer.” God admits to being heartbroken “My heart is overwhelmed.”  Yet with great patience, God comes back again and again and took them in my arm.  One can hear God’s sadness at our obstinacy yet mercy in these phrases.

Jesus offers the peace of God through his disciples.  And yet he knows there will be rejection.  Jesus does not judge the person unworthy, but instead, he is wise enough to know our human hearts.  It is within us to be worthy of experiencing the bands of love wrapping us close to God and divine peace that fill us.  If God’s peace does not stay within us, can we be convicted enough to accept that the Holy One is present among us?  Can we imagine and hope that Jesus’ peace is for us when we are ready to turn back to him, not turn our backs on him.

Action
In what way do I experience God’s peace?  Am I fulfilled?  Am I longing?  In what ways might I make room for God’s peace to satiate me and which I might offer to others?

No comments: