Wednesday, July 31, 2019

“Casting and Collecting” by Beth DeCristofaro


“Casting and Collecting” by Beth DeCristofaro

Memorial of Saint Alphonsus Liguori, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Jesus said to the disciples: "The Kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. When it is full, they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away.
Thus it will be at the end of the age.
(Matthew 13:47-49)

Piety
How lovely your dwelling,
O LORD of hosts!
My soul yearns and pines
for the courts of the LORD.
My heart and flesh cry out
for the living God.
As the sparrow finds a home
and the swallow a nest to settle her young,
My home is by your altars,
LORD of hosts, my king and my God!
Blessed are those who dwell in your house!
They never cease to praise you.
Blessed the man who finds refuge in you,
in their hearts are pilgrim roads.
 (Psalm 84:2-6)


Study
My grandfather taught my siblings and me how to fish off a small dock along the Aquia Creek.  Although always impatient, I did love watching the water’s movement and the ducking of the bobber as perch and bluegills grabbed for the bait.  But then there were times a slimy, wriggling eel was reeled in and my grandfather was intolerant of my screaming and dancing out of its way.

However those creatures, and the messy preparation of the catch – for a skillet I always refused to taste – were part of the endeavor.  And so it is for the Kingdom of Heaven, says Jesus.  And so it is for us, his brothers and sisters, as we participate in the building of his kingdom.  We members of his body, of his church, are asked to spread the nets, reel in the catch and nurture everybody.  It is at the end of the age when the sorting is done by the judge we serve and whose love we share.  At times I might still feel like screaming or dancing away when someone with whom I disagree or on whom I blame imagined wrongs.  But we are called to cast nets wide not shut them, allowing God to throw away or retain at the end of the age.

Saint Alphonsus Liguori, renounced his noble birth, instead casting his nets wide for homeless, abandoned, struggling and questioning youth.  He was known for his charity and his pastoral approach to moral theology which “was noted for its balance, avoiding both laxism and excessive rigor”[i]. He founded an order that “fought Jansenism, a very negative form of spirituality which created an exaggerated sense of sin, which deterred people from receiving the Eucharist.”  By founding chapels where they lived and worked, he cast wide nets to bring common people, outsiders, the insignificant into closer communion with Jesus.  

Action
In what way might Jesus help me further open the net I cast as I live in praise of him, finding my home in him?

No comments: