Sunday, September 01, 2019

Humility! by Wayne Miller


Humility! by Wayne Miller


Piety
Father God, thank you for always being with me; for offering me Your eyes to see, Your ears to hear, Your heart to feel, and Your voice to speak Love to my brothers and sisters.  Also, for Your Forgiveness when I so often forget that You are there.

My child, conduct your affairs with humility, / and you will be loved more than a giver of gifts. (Sirach 3:17-18, 20, 28-29)

God, in your goodness, you have made a home for the poor. (Psalm 68:(cf. 11b) 

Brothers and sisters, you have approached Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant. (Hebrews 12:18…24a)

Take my yoke upon you, says the Lord, and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart. (Matthew 11:29ab)

Jesus went to dine at the home of one of the leading Pharisees. He told a parable to those who had been invited.  “…when you hold a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind; blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you.” (Luke 14:1, 7-14)

Study
“Forgiveness,” as I understand Friar Richard Rohr comes from the words “fore” and “give”; where “giving” is a total selfless pouring out, and “fore” means that it is done freely and even before we recognize the need or ask for it. Our Beloved Triune God is utter humility because He exists in a constant state of fore-giveness, in me, beside me, before and behind me; watching, knowing, loving, and accepting me as I am.

Sometimes, I know His presence and the security that I am consciously acting as the vessel of His Love. Sometimes, I do Love. Sometimes, I think I am the initiator, the creator, the actor. Sometimes, I only do what I do because I want others – and God – to judge me worthy of acceptance into that Eternal Relationship that awaits on the “other side.”

Friar Rohr would describe the latter as “dualistic” (“transactional”) thinking: doing this because I will deserve a reward. Even though the thing I do is “good,” my motivation is essentially manipulative, expecting the outcome to be a “good” thing for me.

I believe that a truly non-dual humility sees others, and my heart intuitively rushes to offer them, Love, desiring only to help them know how perfectly lovable they are right now; and hopefully, to diminish their suffering.
But whatever my motivation, our Triune God is always there, fore-giving me and rejoicing when He sees me living His Loving Humility.

Action
These thoughts so profoundly touch me.  I am joyous at the realization that I am always loved and fore-given by our Lord. And yet, my selfish, sarcastic nature keeps getting mirrored back to me in the burdened hearts of those that I truly desire to Love. Forgive me, Lord.

Thomas Merton was right:
“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does, in fact, please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”

Father God, give me the wisdom and humility to think/feel/act with your fore-giving heart in all of my life: with the beloved 96-year-old and the tender, precious, aching heart of her caring daughter; with the shocked and hurting son suffering vicious attacks in his personal life and with the angry perpetrator who swore to love him for better or worse; and with my Cursillo brothers, both my Team Mates and the men who will come seeking wisdom and community with You.

Lord, help me not to miss the everyday opportunities for humility.
Thank you for the wisdom of today’s scriptures, and help me to be utterly thoughtless of the potential reward, seeing only Your Loving Gaze in every face.

De Colores!

No comments: