Saturday, November 18, 2006

Be Like Stars Forever

November 19, 2006
Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

But the wise shall shine brightly like the splendor of the firmament, and those who lead the many to justice shall be like the stars forever. Daniel 12:3

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Mark 13:31-32

By Rev. Joe Mc Closkey, S.J.

Thoughts of the end times bother even when one does not take seriously the possibility that this is the time the Lord was talking about. We are destined for eternity and we all want to believe in our own immortality.

It seems we do because it is always someone else who will die. It is never me that is going to go. The warnings about the end times fill the gospels of the last Sundays of ordinary time. What we are supposed to do about it is followed by what God has done about it. God so loves the world that he sends his only Son as our salvation. Christ is the good news of salvation. Birth and Death are intimately connected in the good news of salvation.

The death bed meditation is an important one on the Spiritual Journey.

What would I want to have done differently is a sobering question we have to ask if we are going to have a real conversion. When Christ comes in all his glory, I have no doubt t hat I would have wanted to do a lot of things I left undone because I thought I had forever to do what was necessary to do. Time does run out and all the pussy-footing about does not get the needed done. I need a good reason to get down to business.

Pressure is how too many of us get started on what must be done. And that leaves too little time to do a good job and meet the standards of heaven. We can create the attitude of mind and heart to do what should be done by looking at the end times and realizing that there is nothing in life that is not worth doing with all our minds and hearts. Christ is willing to be one of us. Am I willing to be one with him before I die?

Piety

Jesus, you have shown me the way. Mass allows me to be one with you.

Study

Every day gives me the chance to choose you over myself in the needs of my brothers and sisters. I will look for the ways I can do your work in whatever I am doing.

Action

Today I will look for you Christ, in each person who comes my way. I will make a special effort to put you in each conversation.

No comments: