Saturday, November 18, 2006

Lord, Please Let Me See November 20

Yet I hold this against you:you have lost the love you had at first.Realize how far you have fallen.Repent, and do the works you did at first. Revelations 2:4-5

“When they saw this, all the people gave praise to God.” (Luke 18:43)

Piety

Give me sight. Open me to recognize you in the one who listens to me on the phone, sorting out a problem even though she is in a distressing situation herself. The friend who comes when needed. The stressed clerk who confuses my order and delays me. The enemy who threatens me. The colleague whose beliefs offend me.

Jesus, you pass right in front of me. Help me not chose the way of the wicked. Help me cry “Jesus, have mercy on me.” Give me my daily sight; give me a place beneath the tree of life. I will give you praise with each sight my eyes take in.


Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/112006.shtml

In spite of our tiredness, crankiness, prejudice, self-satisfaction, Jesus will give us sight if we but ask. But let us ask out of our lack not our fullness. We must ask to see anew not see what we already think we know. “Yet I hold this against you: you have lost the love you had at first. Realize how far you have fallen.” (Rev 2:5)

The apocalyptic book of Revelation is written in obscure codes, images and symbolism. It speaks of the immanent arrival of God. Perhaps we can compare it to Luke in this way: the blind man had an opportunity: the immanent arrival of a rabbi of whom it was said “he heals the sick and the lame.” And this man leapt to the opportunity. “Jesus, son of David, have pity on me.” (Luke 18:38) he cries, making himself obnoxious – a spectacle! And the Son of God responds.

Do we need to wait for the end times to come? Can we not see Jesus passing down the road before us? Can we not cry out “Jesus, son of David…?”

Take advantage. Think apocalyptically. We don’t have to tremble in fear but rather tremble in awe and joy that because Jesus became human to communicate and love me better, He now passes by me each and every day. Can I each day keep the cry of the blind man in my heart “Jesus Son of David…?” Can I accept the gift of sight and give delirious “thanks?”

But it can’t end with that. Jesus said “Have sight; your faith has saved you.” (Luke 18:42) Now I must go share that faith, that joyful delirium, that choice to “delight in the law of the Lord.” (Ps 1:2) As we each are the eyes, ears and feet of Jesus to each other, the Kingdom is present.


Action

This week begins our bustle of holidays in which much is given to those in need. We help in homeless shelters, deliver meals, collect coats, and make donations. In this global world what is “right in front of us”? Below is a link to a National Public Radio piece on Avega Agahosa, a non-governmental organization started by a widow who survived the genocide in Rwanda – but whose entire family did not. She saw the need to start an organization with and for other women. In this sad, frustrating and uplifting story are tales of women, survivors, who run away if they see a farmer yielding a machete to harvest crops because of their recurring terrors. But there are also survivors who have opened their hearts and adopted 8, 10 and more orphans to raise and thus have a family again. “Your faith has saved you.”
http://soundprint.org/
http://www.avega.org.rw/English.html

“When they saw this, all the people gave praise to God.” (Luke 18:43)


DeColores

Beth DeCristofaro

No comments: