Friday, February 02, 2007

Moved With Pity February 3

Saturday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have; God is pleased by sacrifices of that kind. Hebrews 13:16

“Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” Mark 6:31

Piety (Psalm 23)

LORD, you are my shepherd. You give me all that I need, There is nothing I lack. In green pastures you let me rest for a while. To safe waters you lead me and you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name.

Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage. You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/020307.shtml

What happens when you come back from being away on a business trip or vacation?

For me it means that work has piled up on my desk and inbox which needs attention. There is the follow-up needed for the assignments which were just completed. Don’t you sometimes just want to put your feet up, your head down and relax at home for a bit?

Today, the disciples return from their mission and Jesus wants to hear all about it. He wants to retreat with them, hear their “after-action” report and let them rest. He leads them to still waters to restore their strength. But the “inbox” is full. “People were coming and going in great numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat.”

So, figuring they could slip past the crowd, Jesus and the Twelve got in a boat and planned to make their get away. But, somehow, they could not get away secretly. People found out where they were going and headed there. “They hastened there on foot from all the towns and arrived at the place before them.”

The needs of these people were so persistent, that Jesus could not ignore them another second. “His heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.”

Doesn’t that sound just like Jesus? He can not escape the work His Father sent Him to perform. Ever since he was Twelve, Jesus was intent on being in His Father’s house. Ever since the wedding at Cana, his time to show signs of His divinity was on call.

Knowing his commitment to mission, do we seek out Jesus enough in our lives? Whether individually or in small and large groups, Jesus’ “heart” will be moved with pity for us, too, if we just seek him out. Jesus can not neglect sharing his love with us. He wants us to be like Him.

Action

1) With what do you need to seek Jesus’ help? Make a list and ask Him for assistance. Today.
2)
What mission does Jesus have you fulfilling? Make sure you rest for a while and stay refreshed for the work ahead. Do not neglect to do good things and share what you have.

No comments: