Saturday, February 03, 2007

Send Me February 4

Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?” “Here I am,” I said; “send me!” Isaiah 6:8

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been ineffective. 1 Corinthians 15:10

Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.” When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him. Luke 5:11

Piety

Let us pray: Jesus, too often we do not want to live in the present moment. We live in the past hoping to return to the good old days. Or, we live for the future awaiting a better time to come. Help us to live in the present moment no matter how tough the situation, no matter how strong the forces of evil appear to be in our world. Purify us with the embers of your sacred heart. Wipe away our sins and the means through which we have persecuted you. As we follow you, lead us to the mission you have reserved in each of our names and then send us forth as you modern day apostles. Amen.

Study

http://www.usccb.org/nab/020407.shtml

Three readings and three glances at some of the pillars of our faith: the prophet Isaiah, St. Paul, and St. Peter. Each had to recognize their humanity (sinfulness), seek reconciliation through the mediation of Jesus and then accept his mission (divinity).

When we turn to Jesus and offer up our sins, He washes them away in reconciliation. But this reconciliation comes with a price – a command to follow Jesus and fulfill His mission. If Jesus has such greatness planned for Isaiah, Peter and Paul, does he have any less love for each of us? He is moved with pity for us all if we just turn to him.

Recognition

Reconciliation

Mission

Isaiah

“Woe is me, I am doomed! For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips.”

“See, now that this has touched your lips, your wickedness is removed, your sin purged.”

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?”
“Here I am,” I said; “send me!”

Paul

“For I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.”

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been ineffective. Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them; not I, however, but the grace of God that is with me.

Therefore, whether it be I or they,
so we preach and so you believed.

Peter

“Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.”

“Do not be afraid;
from now on you will be catching men.”

“When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him.”

Action

When we call Jesus, he answers. Listen for his reply and follow the path he asks you to walk. Answer him with the famous words of Isaiah, “Here I am Lord. Send me.”

No comments: