Sunday, February 21, 2010

He Refreshes My Soul

February 22, 2010

Feast of the Chair of St. Peter, Apostle

Tend the flock of God in your midst, (overseeing) not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the unfading crown of glory. 1 Peter 5:2-4

Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 16:17-18

Piety

The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack. In green pastures you let me graze; to safe waters you lead me; you restore my strength. You guide me along the right path for the sake of your name. Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no harm for you are at my side; your rod and staff give me courage. You set a table before me as my enemies watch; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Only goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come. (Psalm 23)

Study

Finally Peter understands.

For months, Jesus has been recognized as the messiah and son of God by evil spirits, by people in foreign lands and others. However, he has not been recognized by his closest followers. Today, Jesus quizzes Peter one more time. And in this exchange, Peter testifies that he believes Jesus is the Son of God.

With this understanding, Christ Jesus does not waste a minute in putting this revelation to use to advance the Kingdom of God on earth. Jesus immediately sets Peter apart from the rest of the disciples by entrusting to him the care of his flock. As the shepherd and guardian of souls, Peter inherits from Jesus a critical role in leading the church. The familiar role of the shepherd in the Hebrew Bible and in the New Testament now falls on Peter’s shoulders.

This is a critical development in the formation of Peter’s own discipleship as well as in the formation of the early Christian community. It also bears fruit on our own formation as Christian women and men because Peter is not installed as the regent, one who will become “king” when Christ dies. Instead, he is given the mantle of servant-leadership to care for this around him.

Action

With this role, Peter also assumes responsibilities which are symbolic of the entire community. These roles become duties which we inherit. Tend the flock of God in your midst, overseeing not by constraint but willingly, as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly. Do not lord it over those assigned to you, but be examples to the flock.

In this Lenten season, as we are moved to fasting, prayer, service and almsgiving, let us remember to be a quiet example to the flock as Peter directs because the Lord refreshes us for the work that lies ahead.