Monday, February 22, 2010

Your Father Knows

February 23, 2010

Tuesday of the First Week of Lent

By Beth DeCristofaro

(My word) shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)

Jesus said to his disciples: “In praying, do not babble like the pagans, who think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.” (Matthew 6:7-8)

Piety

Bring me ever closer to you this Lent, My Father. Walk with me as I journey to your cross and resurrection, My Christ. Fill me, Holy Spirit, with the desire for God above all, the discipline to accept God’s will and the courage to show God to the world. Amen.

Study

If you know what I want already, Lord, why do I have to say it? If you know what is in my heart, Lord, why don’t you just give it to me?

Perhaps it is because God wants me to love, not want things that might be gotten from a vending machine. Perhaps God wants me without having to “earn” my desire just like God loves me without me working to earn God’s love. Perhaps God wants me to know that by talking and listening in prayer, I am turned to God in a special way and I am drawn ever closer to him – in good times and bad. Perhaps God wants me to want and love God as much as God wants and loves me. Perhaps God wants me to want to seek his will rather than my own. God is not the dispenser of goodies but the source of life and goodness. In turning to the source, with humility and love, for our needs we come more closely into touch with the risen Christ who is God within.

God’s word returns, achieving the end for which it was sent, through me and you. Christ, as human, knows what we know. Christ as God knows who and what we are. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Action

Slowly, thoughtfully, pray the Our Father today. Give God’s word back in your love and submission to God’s will.

Read a reflection about the Our Father. Some suggestions:

“Our Father: The Prayer of Relationship” by Fr. Gerry Pierse, C.Ss.R.
http://www.bible.claret.org/liturgy/daily/sundays_pierse/cycleC/C_17thSunOT.htm

The Well of the Trinity, Reflection on the 'Our Father', Dominican Nuns of Ireland
http://www.dominicannuns.ie/reflections/the-our-father.html

“Our Father reflection” by Theo Tigno
http://www.dawgsthought.com/content.php?sectionid=1263

Lent and "Our Father": The Path of Prayer, Carl E. Olson
http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2005/colson_ashwednesday_feb05.asp