Monday, September 20, 2010

I Call Sinners

September 21, 2010
Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist

By Beth DeCristofaro

…grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ's gift. And he gave some as Apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers, to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry, for building up the Body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-13)

As Jesus passed by, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the customs post. He said to him, "Follow me." And he got up and followed him. While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat with Jesus and his disciples. The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" He heard this and said, "Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners." (Matthew 9:9-13)

Piety
Lord Jesus, I give you thanks for calling me, a sinner. May St. Matthew be a model. Help me to follow you. Help me not concern myself with the destination but the commitment to living a life of mercy, a life that matures into an ever closer relationship to you. Help me to place you before all else. May all I do bring glory to God rather than myself. Amen.

Study
St. Matthew. I picture him sitting outdoors at the tax stand, maybe near the temple or one of the gates of the city. He was probably dressed better than most of the Jews who came to pay their taxes. I imagine he had a pillow to sit upon, lunch brought to him and a skin of wine at his elbow. His beard would have been perfumed, neatly trimmed. He would have been aware and particular of his appearance in order to play the part. But in his spirit I am sure he was sick. He was taking money from his fellow countrymen to give to the oppressors, and probably lining his own pockets from the takings. What ever he might have looked like, could he have been comfortable in his own skin? He was a betrayer of his heritage and a thief. Then Jesus called him. He got up and followed.

Jesus calls me. How eagerly do I get up and follow? Right now I’m job hunting. It’s perhaps my most least-favorite duty in the universe. It calls for organization – not my prime skill – as well as tenacity and good selling energy. Last week, I asked a friend for her prayers. I asked that the Holy Spirit help me in finding the right job which God has in store. Her answer rocked me back a bit. She took my arm and said to me: “Pray that you listen to the Holy Spirit.”

It’s not really the same thing to pray for the job or to pray to listen to God. God invites us to pray specifically. But God also graces us each one according to the measure of Christ’s gift … until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God. Am I ready to follow and help in attaining to the unity of faith and the knowledge of God’s Son? That’s a big order because I don’t really know what that even means. I do know what it means, however, to be a volunteer manager, a teacher or a chaplain. Matthew got up and followed without knowing. His gifts were revealed to him as he followed, listened, and committed to Jesus. Jesus knows my gifts. May I be open to His use of them.

Action
Spend some time in prayer for someone (or those someones) who you feel are sinful, unrighteous. Ask that they hear the Holy Spirit with the ears of their hearts. Ask the same for yourself. Ask that your heart be filled with mercy and that your spirit be eager to spend your gifts for Jesus.