Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Nothing

September 22, 2010

Wednesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

Every word of God is tested; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Add nothing to his words, lest he reprove you, and you be exposed as a deceiver. Proverb 30:5-6

He said to them, “Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic. Whatever house you enter, stay there and leave from there. And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet 3 in testimony against them.” Luke 9:3-5

Piety
Suscipe by St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, All I have and call my own. You have given all to me. To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me. Amen.

Study
Nothing. Else.

The implication that flies off the page to me today is the strong message that we are to fully rely on God and the Word. Add nothing else so we do not put our interpretation upon the Word – possibly misleading others. Then, when we go out into the word, bring nothing else along. Maybe we should hold hands and stick together as Robert Fulghum (Author of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten) advises, but Jesus instructs us to take nothing else but our companion for the journey.

How many of us have recently taken a summer vacation or other short trip? What did you pack for that journey? Clothes. Bathing suit. Sunblock. Digital camera. Computer. Battery. Charger. Books. Music player. Beach chairs and blankets and towels. Games. Cards. Bikes. Food for the car. Food for the room while away. And once we got to wherever we were headed, we bought more stuff. Some disciples we would make!

“Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic.”

Action
Every word of God is tested. How about you? Are your words all tested before they go out? Are your actions? Is your life?

What is your test? The Suscipe by St. Ignatius of Loyola presents us with a test that seems well-related to today’s readings. If we are to take the Challenge of Nothing, then the only option is to get rid of everything else.

Offer back to the Lord everything else… your freedom, your mind, your desires, your stuff. Can we face life and live out this prayer? Can we accept only God’s love and grace? Is that enough for you and me?

What can you offer back to the Lord today?