Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sing of God’s Faithfulness



Sing of God’s Faithfulness

Tuesday of Holy Week
March 26, 2013

By Beth DeCristofaro

Reclining at table with his disciples, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified, “Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” …When he had left, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.  If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself, and he will glorify him at once.  (Later) … Jesus answered (Peter), “Will you lay down your life for me? Amen, amen, I say to you, the cock will not crow before you deny me three times.” (John 13: 21, 31, 38)

Piety

That I may praise you with the lyre
for your faithfulness, my God,
And sing to you with the harp,
O Holy One of Israel!
My lips will shout for joy as I sing your praise;
my soul, too, which you have redeemed.
Yes, my tongue shall recount
your justice day by day.
(Psalm 71:22-24)

Study

During Lent I have related to the many questions posed to Jesus by the leaders in the temple.  Of course, many were designed to trap Him, but some seem to be honestly skeptical.  I can see myself wondering just who this man, Jesus, was and just what did He mean with His stories, images and illusions to sacred writings.    We see that some people accepted the Word while some rejected.  Which camp would I truly be in?

The passage from John’s Gospel, intense and heartrending, is hard to read yet is filled with such immense promise.  Two men Jesus personally chose disallow Him – one totally, of course.  They lived with Jesus yet faltered.  And I must admit that I, too, have done the same.  I am chosen and baptized yet have denied Christ when I laughed, perhaps nervously, at racist and other insensitive remarks.  I have preferred myself when I did not come to another’s aid because I was tired and it was time for me or closed someone out because he was different and I was frightened.  I have betrayed Jesus when I spoke ill of someone, sanctimoniously judging her. 

Lent has given me the opportunity to meet myself again while also meeting and befriending Jesus anew.  Lent allows me to appreciate with fresh faith that He will look at me as He looks at the thief on the Good Friday cross and in His immense mercy and limitless love says “Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”  (Luke 23:43)

Action

Choosing Jesus is hard work.  Jesus has already chosen me.  In what way can I be more aware of how and when I deny God?  In what ways can I be more open to God’s Word and share God’s love each day?  Look for an singular opportunity to choose Jesus today.

No comments: