Saturday, March 23, 2013

What Are We Going to Do?

March 23, 2013
Saturday of the Fifth Week of Lent

​I will make with them a covenant of peace; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them, and I will multiply them, and put my sanctuary among them forever.  My dwelling shall be with them; I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  Thus the nations shall know that it is I, the LORD, who make Israel holy, when my sanctuary shall be set up among them forever.  Ezekiel 37:28  

​Many of the Jews who had come to Mary and seen what Jesus had done began to believe in him.  But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done.  So the chief priests and the Pharisees convened the Sanhedrin and said, “What are we going to do?  This man is performing many signs."  John 11:45-47a

Piety

​Father, give me strength to overcome my weaknesses.  Jesus, you know my human nature.  Help me to overcome my constant temptations to sin.  Holy Spirit, shower me with your gifts so that I may walk in the ways of The Lord.  Amen.  

Study

​As we enter the final days of Lent 2013, our Little Lenten Instruction book poses to us a simple question?  What are we going to do about our relationship with Jesus of Nazareth?  We know what we can expect historically.  But what will we do in the present moment?  What will we do with the days, weeks and years to come?

​We know what The Lord will do.  In our first reading today from Ezekiel, The Lord leaves no stone unturned.  He will be our God if only we will be His people. He overlooks all our sins and forgives unconditionally. Will will turn away from those past habits and accept His holy invitation?

Action
​Revisit your pledges of fasting, alms giving and prayer that you made at the outset of Lent five weeks ago.  How have you been doing in following through on those goals?  As an athlete tries to finish the race strong, end Lent on a strong note by making intentional steps to follow your plans for action and sacrifice.  

No comments: