Monday, April 01, 2013

My Father is Your Father, My God is Your God



My Father is Your Father, My God is Your God

April 2, 2013
Tuesday in the Octave of Easter

By Beth DeCristofaro

Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  For the promise is made to you and to your children and to all those far off, whomever the Lord our God will call.”  (Acts 2:38-39)

Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father.  But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”  Mary went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and then reported what he had told her. (John 20:17-18)

Piety

"O gracious and Holy Father, give us wisdom to perceive you, diligence to seek you, patience to wait for you, eyes to behold you, a heart to meditate upon you, and a life to proclaim you; through the power of the Spirit of Jesus Christ our Lord.” (St. Benedict)

Study

Just before the passage from John, reprinted above, Jesus has said to Mary Magdalene:  “Woman, why are you weeping?  Whom are you looking for?” (John 20:15)  In her distress Mary does not recognize him at first, until Jesus calls her by name.

Part of me wonders why, when she recognizes Jesus, Mary doesn’t say “Seriously, Jesus?  Seriously?  I just watched you die an agonizing, unjust death and you ask why I am weeping?”  Luckily I wasn’t asked to write this passage down 2,000 years ago. But today I can see the wonder of the mystery wrapped around the stark reality of being human.  We have to go through the cross, which is what Jesus did for us, to get to resurrection and sure joy.   Sometimes in the middle of the tragedies, the pressures, the traumas we face, it is hard to see the face of God.  The mystery, the gift, the wonder is that God’s face never lets up shining upon us.  Jesus never leaves our side. 

God created us for God.  Jesus gave us back to God through his acceptance of death and his victory in resurrection.  Even weeping, standing empty handed and broken-hearted in the tomb Jesus will stand with us.

Action

In this Easter Season of Joy, reach out to someone who is hurting.  Or look around and learn about what to do for those who are being abused and who know no joy.  The USCCB website has information on human trafficking, for example.  What might I do to help a modern day Mary Magdalene?  Jesus’ Father is her Father.  My God is her God.    http://usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/human-trafficking/ 

No comments: