Wednesday, August 23, 2017

“Follow Me, True Child” by Beth DeCristofaro


The angel spoke to me, saying, "Come here. I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." … The wall of (Jerusalem) had twelve courses of stones as its foundation, on which were inscribed the twelve names of the twelve Apostles of the Lamb.  (Revelations 21:9-14)

Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one about whom Moses wrote in the law, and also the prophets, Jesus son of Joseph, from Nazareth." But Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come from Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, "Here is a true child of Israel. There is no duplicity in him."  (John 1:45-48)

Piety
God of sizzling suns.  God of quieting moons.  Grant that I may grow into your true child.  May I, too, live without duplicity oriented only to you.  Jesus may your summons capture and guide me.  Holy Spirit may I shine so that the light of your Truth is seen before others.

Study
Like millions of Americans, I was thrilled to watch the eclipse.  For many of us, an eclipse is another sign of God breaking through and sharing with us the immensity of creation.  All day, leading up to the event I felt as if the day was special.  Even the ordinary tasks of my day seemed to be full of special significance as if God was drawing closer through celestial alignment.  My visits to hospice patients that day had an import even if they were not cognizant or interested…God’s face was shining in a unique way upon each of them, upon me, and our human frailties bound us together under God’s grandeur.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful to hold on to such an awareness of wonder, of God’s immanent presence?

Reading Nathaniel’s (Bartholomew’s) words, “Can anything good come from Nazareth?" made me smile.  My impatience with a badly working laptop and my anxiety over traffic as well as tired frustration because of duties calling soon returned in my day.  “Can anything good come from…” is too often my state of mind rather than gratitude and reverent fear for the presence of God at hand.  But then Jesus’ unexpected words of truth and acceptance captured Nathaniel.  Jesus sees beyond the small-mindedness in Nathaniel’s heart and offers him awe.  God does the same for us with each breath we take.

Action
Tradition has it that Bartholomew is Nathaniel and that before being martyred he brought the Word to many areas of the ancient world.  Each day take the opportunity to recognize a wonder God places in front of you.  If it is a person, lift her/him up.  If a problem, seek a solution.  If a new insight, resolve to be aware.  If merely a moon hiding the face of the sun…Rejoice and be glad!


Illustration:  from Madras, OR



No comments: