Monday, August 21, 2017

“What Will There Be for Us?” by Melanie Rigney

“God’s grace is free; it’s not cheap.”

The LORD turned to him and said, "Go with the strength you have and save Israel from the power of Midian. It is I who send you." But Gideon answered him, "Please, my lord, how can I save Israel? My family is the lowliest in Manasseh, and I am the most insignificant in my father's house." "I shall be with you," the LORD said to him, "and you will cut down Midian to the last man." (Judges 6:14-16)

The Lord speaks of peace to his people. (Psalm 85:9)

Then Peter said to him in reply, “We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?” (Matthew 19:27)

Piety
I had many friends to help me to fall; but as to rising again, I was so much left to myself that I wonder now I was not always on the ground. I praise God for His mercy; for it was He only Who stretched out His hand to me. May He be praised forever! —St. Teresa of Avila

Study
I take a little notebook with me to Mass. I don’t do it in case I get some bright idea for a column or essay, or to work on my to-do list before things get started. No, it’s because of St. Teresa of Avila. She’s supposed to have said she never heard a homily from which she couldn’t learn something and since I began trying to live that a couple years ago, well, neither have I. Every homily, long or short, has some bit of wisdom, original or otherwise, that’s worth chewing on. And, if I don’t write it down, I’ll forget it.

Last week, the celebrant shared this gem: “God’s grace is free; it’s not cheap.” I thought of that as I sat down to write today’s Tripod. In the Gospel, Jesus has told them how difficult it will be for the wealthy to get into the Kingdom. Peter, it appears, may be feeling a little confident about the disciples’ chances; he notes they’ve given up everything and then has the audacity or innocence to say in essence, “So what do we get?” Jesus responds with what probably seemed to be a bewildering discussion of 12 thrones and more, with the warning, “Many who are first will be last and the last will be first.”

What did they get for following? What do we get for following? Grace. Mercy. Redemption. Not one of them is the type of wealth that shows up in a bank account or in visible trappings such as a big house, fast car, or fine jewelry. Just… grace, mercy, redemption, and their intangible cousins. All of them are free for the asking, but they’re not cheap, as Peter and the others learned. We all know that intellectually, but living it can be an entirely different matter.

Gems of wisdom from a celebrant or from Christ himself are nothing more than pretty words if we don’t write them on our souls, and attempt to live them. May we have the courage and faith to do so.

Action
What sort of bargain or trade are you seeking from the Lord in exchange for your faith? What can you do to put that expectation behind you?

Image credit: By Melanie Rigney

No comments: