Wednesday, November 06, 2019

"More Joy in Heaven Over One Sinner Who Repents" by Beth DeCristofaro


"More Joy in Heaven Over One Sinner Who Repents" by Beth DeCristofaro


Brothers and sisters: None of us lives for oneself, and no one dies for oneself. For if we live, we live for the Lord, and if we die, we die for the Lord; so then, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. … So then each of us shall give an account of himself to God. (Romans 14:7-8, 12)

I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance. (Luke 15:7)

Piety
Lord Jesus, you chose to be called the friend of sinners. By your saving death and resurrection free me from my sins. May your peace take root in my heart and bring forth a harvest of love, holiness, and truth[i]  (Prayers, “An Act of Contrition to our Lord Jesus”, Vatican News)

Study
There must be an awful lot of joyful dancing in heaven based on how often I realize and repent! That image is very hard to accept. When someone admits a wrong, I’m pretty judgmental. It is very easy and logical for me to keep a list of don’t in my head and measure myself and others against them. Jesus and Paul are asking us to get beyond this and live in the absolute realm of “yes I am loved! And I love! Therefore, I will do God’s will for God’s sake and because I love.” Do’s and don’ts are a bit like those rumble strips that keep us in the lanes on roads but we mustn’t miss the scenery along the way by focusing on them.

Last Tuesday, we went to the polls in Virginia. I was a bit in trepidation because of the negativity, antagonistic, conflict-ridden nature of our country. Voting can be a chore if one doesn’t believe that a vote will mean anything.  I was sure that there would be 1 or 2 voters in the booths that I disagree with (perhaps vehemently). Is there a smallness within me that does not want to share the opportunities of life with those with whom I do not agree? If I take Paul and Jesus’ words with me into my civic duty, then I am instead so very grateful that we have a system that allows – no invites – parties of all persuasions to have a say. Just as we are the Church, we are our country and we all live or die, we are the Lord's. I can be joyful that others came to vote too. I can rejoice that I am trying to be a good citizen, a good human, a good follower of Christ.

In the traditional Act of Contrition, we pray: “O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because of thy just punishments, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love.” Might this be a better rumble strip for the road of my life than my subjective list of "dos and don’ts?"

Action
Look for opportunities to rejoice with the heavens! Are there places within yourself you need to repent? What opportunities are there to work with others for reconciliation and unity – to build God’s Kingdom for even more rejoicing that we are the Lord's.

No comments: