Tuesday, November 05, 2019

“The Cost of Discipleship” by Colleen O’Sullivan


“The Cost of Discipleship” by Colleen O’Sullivan


Brothers and sisters: Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. (Romans 13:8)


Great crowds were traveling with Jesus, and he turned and addressed them, "If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. Which of you wishing to construct a tower does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if there is enough for its completion? (Luke 14:25-28)
                                                                                      
Piety
Prayer for Generosity
St. Ignatius of Loyola

Lord Jesus, teach me to be generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
To give and not to count the cost,
To fight and not to heed the wounds,
To toil and not to seek for rest,
To labor and not to seek reward,
Except that of knowing that I do your will. Amen.

Study
About two months ago, I had knee replacement surgery. At some point beforehand, my orthopedic surgeon commented that recovering from knee replacement surgery was a great deal more painful than recovering from hip replacement surgery. I heard him, but his words didn’t translate into anything close to reality.  About 8½ years ago, I had hip replacement surgery and, once I got out of the hospital, I don’t remember it as anything more than moderately uncomfortable at night. However, I have discovered in many ways that rehabilitating a knee is definitely in a whole different league!

I thought about this as I read Jesus’ words to the crowds.  I wonder what they heard when our Lord said, “whoever does not carry his own cross…” I’m sure everyone heard the words he uttered, but did they have any idea what he was talking about or any inkling what it’s like to carry a cross? When we set out to “bring a friend to Christ,” do we lay out the cost, so would-be followers have a chance to consider the journey they’re contemplating seriously?

St. Ignatius’ prayer for generosity makes Jesus’ point using less startling language.  Discipleship is about how we relate to the Lord, the One who gave his life for us. Put Jesus before everything and everyone else. Please don’t complain about what this may cost us. Don’t look for gold stars or other rewards. All the reward we need is knowing that we’re doing what Jesus asks of us.
Action
The Christian life is a journey. It seems that as we travel, we learn over and over what carrying a cross means. I’m not sure it is possible to calculate beforehand what discipleship might cost us. Crosses come in colors and shapes we can never conceive of at the start. And time and again, we find ourselves needing to recommit ourselves to staying the path. Maybe that’s part of what we could share with those friends we seek to lead to Christ.


When you are praying today, take a few minutes to reflect on the crosses you’ve been asked to carry. Give thanks for those persons, like Simon of Cyrene, who have helped you bear the weight of your particular burdens. And be aware that Jesus has yoked himself to each of us to help us on life’s journey.

No comments: