Monday, July 29, 2019

“Come Along in Our Company” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)

JillWellington, Pixabay

“Come Along in Our Company” by Melanie Rigney (@melanierigney)


Then (Moses) said, "If I find favor with you, O LORD, do come along in our company. This is indeed a stiff-necked people; yet pardon our wickedness and sins, and receive us as your own." (Exodus 34:9)

The Lord is kind and merciful. (Psalm 103:8a)

“The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his Kingdom all who cause others to sin and all evildoers. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the Kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear." (Matthew 13:41-43)

Piety
Lord, take the stiffness out of my neck, that I might bow down and praise you.

Study
In a couple of weeks, I’ll be getting together with a number of people I don’t see often enough. In some cases, it’s been years. They’re the types of friendships that have stood the test of time, that even if we don’t talk or message often, we’ll pick up just where we left off.

I’m thinking particularly of my friend Julie, an ordained Baptist minister. We won’t have to plan it; we’ll just know to meet shortly before sunrise at Green Lake, Wisconsin’s deepest inland lake. There won’t be a lot of words, just comfortable silence. And when the sun breaks above the horizon line, we’ll sing “Morning Has Broken,” then join some other friends at breakfast. Oh, we’ll offer grace, but our sunrise practice is our invitation to the Lord to come along in our company for the day.

The first sunrise I saw with Julie at Green Lake was 2002, I believe. I couldn’t have been much further from having a relationship with God. But I was an early riser, and when I left my room to watch the sun come up, there Julie was. She was there every sunrise that week, and so was I. And so was God, waiting for the invitation to enter my soul. It was at Green Lake that my ears began to hear.

Action
Sing “Morning Has Broken” today—and mean it.

No comments: